A Tribute to Bernstein
„Sie müssen das wissen: Ich liebe dieses Haus, ich liebe diese Leute hier, und ich liebe dieses Publikum. Und ich komme wieder!“ Zitat: Leonard Bernstein über das Konzerthaus Berlin
Leonard Bernstein was one of the most enigmatic and exciting musical personalities of the twentieth century. As a conductor, pianist, composer, and music educator, his genius inspired audiences throughout the world – including those at the Konzerthaus Berlin.
Between 1984 and 1989, Bernstein appeared there seven times, and his performances remaining a living memory for many. The highlight of these visits came on December 25, 1989 with his Berlin Celebration Concert, which celebrated the fall of the Berlin Wall, featuring musicians from six international orchestras performing Beethoven’s „Ninth Symphony".
From November 8 through November 16, the Konzerthaus Berlin will pay homage to this outstanding musical figure with a tribute featuring both his works and those by composers close to him, including chamber music, film screenings, and an exhibition of his Konzerthaus appearances. The opening concert, by the Konzerthausorchester, conducted by Iván Fischer, features works by Bernstein and Mahler. In addition, on two evenings, November 12 and November 13, his daughter, Jamie Bernstein, will provide insights into her father’s exciting life, accompanied by musicians who will interpret corresponding works. Lastly, the Ensemble Modern, conducted by Kent Nagano, will premiere Bernstein’s opera „A Quiet Place" in a fresh chamber-music adaptation.
- Zeitzeugen-Videos: Meine Erinnerung an Bernstein
- Chronik: Leonard Bernstein zu Gast im Schauspielhaus Berlin
- Folder: Hommage an Leonard Bernstein (pdf)
- Leseprobe aus der Festschrift (pdf)
- Hier können Sie die Festschrift online kaufen.
- NEU: Beitrag im rbb-Magazin Stilbruch – mit Interviews und tollen Archivbildern (Online-Streaming)
- NEU: Porträt über Wayne Marshall auf rbb Kulturradio